Last weekend, we kicked off the fall season by extending our factory store hours through Saturdays. For many of our local supporters it means that they will have the chance to frequent our store more often. For the McCutcheon Family, it means six-day weeks. Not that we really mind. The Saturday crowd is always filled with fresh faces and good attitudes. On this particular Saturday mama and papa McCutcheon were running the shop with a few other family members…including the family dogs Jake and Willie Nelson.
To reward their hard work, I grabbed a jar of McCutcheon’s Apricot Preserves and headed home to whip up a quick and satisfying meal. That’s where they sandwiches come in. They are savory, hearty, and a great way to close a busy day without investing a ton of effort. And let me tell you, these are delicious and easy, and I promise that they will become a family favorite.
Chicken Sandwiches with Apricot Sauce
- 1 small jar McCutcheon’s Apricot Preserves
- Dijon Mustard
- Mayonnaise (The real stuff, please no Miracle whip)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 loaf sour dough bread
- Red onion sliced into thin rings
- A pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, fileted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Filet two chicken breasts and then season with salt and pepper to your liking
- Grill the chicken breasts and set aside
- Slice the sour dough bread.
- To prepare the sandwich brush the bread with the apricot sauce and then top with chicken, red onion rings, spinach, more sauce, and then the second piece of bread.
- Grill the sandwiches and then serve hot.
- In a small bowl whisk together equal parts of the mayonnaise, apricot preserves, and Dijon. Toss in the chives and stir again. Add a pinch of Cayenne pepper. (Here I recommend dipping a pinkie and testing the flavors. Feel free to adjust it by adding more of whatever you feel is lacking. If you are looking for some spice, slice a round off a jalapeno an mince it finely. Mix in the jalapeno and you will get a nice kick.)