Merry Christmas Eve. Now that you have hopefully wrapped all your gifts and baked all your christmas cookies you can relax. Or, like me, you will still be too excited about christmas morning to kick off your shoes, hang up your apron and sit. If you are like me you will be thinking about Christmas morning breakfast. This year it’s all about the french toast in my house. My favorite way to make it is baked, slathered in apple butter and then drenched in pure, natural maple syrup.
Apple Butter French Toast
- 1 loaf good quality french bread, challah bread, or white bread
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 1 jar McCutcheon’s apple butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, more to taste
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 2 tbsp cinnamon sugar mixture
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 9x12x2 baking dish.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, ½ of the apple butter, vanilla and salt.
- In another bowl mix the cream cheese and remaining ½ of the apple butter together.
- Cut the bread into 1 inch slices on the diagonal, making each slice the same size.
- Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture and place flat in the baking dish, pressing slices together to that you totally cover the bottom. Spread the cream cheese mixture over this layer. Spoon a layer of apple butter over the cream cheese withy a drizzle of maple syrup, and dust with cinnamon sugar. Then, cover with another tightly packed layer of egg-dipped bread slices. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup, and apple butter.