5 Minute Pumpkin Butter Coffee Cake
It seems that every customer that blows in through our factory store leaves with a gallon of cider slung under their arm and a jar of pumpkin butter in hand. I am no exception to this rule. I find it nearly impossible not to bring a pint of pumpkin butter home for myself. It is the taste of fall, pumpkin pie in a jar.
To all of you who are unfamiliar with fruit butters, no there is no butter involved. Fruit butters are spiced fruit purees that are cooked down until what remains is dark in color, rich in flavor, with a shelf life like that of preserves.
McCutcheon’s has a variety of fruit butters. Back in 1938, we kicked off our operations by making apple butter for the local orchard farmers. Since then we have expanded to produce three varieties of apple butter alone: home recipe, juice-sweetened, and honey sweet. We also carry cherry butter, pear butter, peach butter, and pumpkin butter in home recipe and juice-sweetened versions.
How do you eat them? This is a question we get asked so often it could make your head spin. You eat it on toast, with peanut butter on a sandwich, mixed into yogurt or cottage cheese, on a bagel–heck, get creative!
Me, I use our fruit butters as a little something extra in the things I bake for my family. This time of year it’s all about adding the pumpkin butter to the mix. One of my favorite ways to do so is to make Pumpkin Butter Coffee Cake. It’s cinnamon-y, a little crunchy, gooey, and oh-s0-divine it will leave everyone at your table slack-jawed.
On those true autumn mornings, I love to wake up everyone in the house with the smell of Pumpkin Butter Coffee Cake baking fresh in the oven. Well, I like them to think I slaved over something baking in the oven. The truth is, it only takes 5-minutes and you do it in the microwave! It’s so simple, even I can manage to throw a few mugs of coffee cake together during the early hours of the morning. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
5-Minute Pumpkin Butter Coffee Cake
For the coffee cake:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2, whisked egg
- 2 tablespoons Vanilla greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons McCutcheon’s Pumpkin Butter
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a mug, soften 2 tablespoons of butter. Do not fully melt.
- Again, in the mug, mix in the white sugar with a fork until fluffy. About 30 seconds
- Add the egg, and mix throughly
- Stir in the yogurt
- Mix in the flour and baking powder until you get a smooth batter
- Mix in pumpkin butter.
- For the crumb topping: In a separate ramekin, mix together all the ingredients with your fingers until it becomes crumbly. Pour over the batter mixture in the mug
- Microwave on high for 2 1/2 minutes. (this time will be different for every microwave so keep and eye on it as it cooks. It should puff up, doubling in size almost. When it’s finished it will be fully not sink down in the mug and should spring back when you touch it.)
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. This thing is HOT when you first take it out. If you can’t wait for that first bite, you have been warned.